Thursday, January 28, 2010

Take A Look At This!


Call me crazy for stepping out on our back deck in the subzero temps this morning but as I was brewing hot water to make tea I noticed a brightening on the horizon. When I took this photo it was about 6:50am. The photo makes it look brighter than it actually was.


I'm kind of a weather geek and I like following the length of the days so last fall I went online and printed out a chart that gives the exact time of the sun's rising and setting, moon's rising and setting and twilight for my community. Our shortest days of this winter season are behind us and we're gaining a couple minutes of daylight each day now. In fact, we've gained 14 minutes in the morning and a whopping 43 minutes in the evening - almost an hour of extra daylight!


Even though we're in the middle of winter, this morning's brightening horizon gives me hope that (eventually) spring is on its way!

8 comments:

Lindsay said...

Oh, I love the picture!! I'm looking
forward to the longer days too. :)

~ Blessings,
Lindsay

Anonymous said...

That is really cool, isn't it?!

Auntie Cake said...

Just popped in to say, have a wonderful weekend. And I was greeted by your lovely sunrise. I love watching the nature/weather also, especially the moon. So heartening to hear that we have almost an extra hour of sunlight. Spring is in the works. It might take it's time getting here, but it will come!
Kate

Leah Marie said...

Cool ma. I can't wait until The days are nice and long. The warm weather would be nice too.

Emily said...

Gorgeous picture! :)

WendyBee said...

I, too, was delighted to notice that there was still the slightest glimmer of daylight in the southwest sky about 10 minutes before quitting time at work. I love being able to come home when it's at least dusk or even still some daylight left. We live at the eastern part of the Eastern time zone, and having lived in Ohio, I know that the sunrise/sunset times vary greatly. So I've traded later sunset for earlier sunrise....too bad I'm not much of a morning person!
WendyBee
P.S. Thanks for your visits to my blog and all your lovely friendly comments! I really enjoy them.

Kristin said...

That's a beautiful picture. I love the way bare winter trees look against the sky.
Thank you for all of the kind comments on my blog! Yes, you should definitely watch part 1 of "Emma" online before tonight. =) And I listen to the P&P soundtrack all the time, too. When I'm doing homework, blogging, writing in my journal, reading...all the time. =) It's incredibly beautiful music.

~Kristin

Jennifer Nordin, LMT, CPT said...

Jody, thanks so much for saying hello on my blog! You and your lovely daughters are quite the blogging trio. :)Looking forward to following you too...
God bless, Jen