Tuesday, March 9, 2010

It's All Good...

My dear husband and I at the Archie Carr NWR


You know, you can take a vacation but when a family of five travels together, I've found that we come with all our baggage and by that I don't mean our suitcases. I love my family. Really, I do. I wouldn't trade a single one of them but at times family life is challenging.

Today we drove down the coast and stopped in at two different wildlife refuges. To be fair, those sort of activities are right up my alley. In fact, they're probably more my favorite thing to do than just about anything else. My husband likes wildlife, but would probably rather be aiming a gun at it (you know, hunting)! My children, well, they tolerate their very uncool mother who drags a bird book and binoculars on practically every outing we take down here. Hey! You never know when you'll need either one! None of them would choose to visit a wildlife refuge if they had any other option, I'm sure.

So there was a bit of whining and weariness as we traveled merrily (or, not so merrily) along. That's just the way it goes, isn't it? We love each other but continue to sanctify each other daily. Jesus has promised us that this life would not be easy but He has promised to walk with us each day. As we walk with him, we will continue to sand each other's rough spots until, hopefully, we're polished and gleaming.

Shine, people, shine!

6 comments:

Emily said...

Thinking of a snappy thing to say...
Ha! You didn't tell about the part when we were not even out of our complex and you were like, "OH! A bird! I wonder what kind it is!" *pulls out bird book* Yeahhh. :)
I love you, Mommy.
Xoxo.

Auntie Cake said...

Very cute pic of the two of you! I would have fun, but I know my kids would have been doing the exact same thing yours did... When Dan and I took our honeymoon, Dan had to do and see everything. My idea of a vacation had been to lie on a beach all day and shop at night. I remember thinking, "I have to take all my vacations for the rest of my life with this guy? He's wearing me out!"

And I fixed my little problem. Whew! Totally annoying... But I now know how to remove an unwanted follower.

Have fun tomorrow!
Kate

Kathy said...

Love your daughter's comment. So funny! Well, we are bird-book fanatics around here too, and in fact AZ has the best bird, mammal, wildflower, cactus guides produced by the same company. We love to take them with us on our hikes as well. The eye-ball rolling hasn't started yet when we whip them out, but I suspect it's a matter of time. : ) Have FUN!!!

Alexa said...

You and your husband match! Tender....

Can do mom said...

Funny, I didn't even notice that we matched! And my darling daughter is making me sound like an even bigger doofus than I really I am! ;) Fortunately, I am not bothered by embarrassing my dear children. Ha! It's actually a little fun (insert sadistic laughter...) ;)

WendyBee said...

Take heart, dear Can-do! Your children will always appreciate for your passion for wildlife. Just remember that living for the approval of adolescents is truly thankless (and futile), so resign yourself to their selfish disdain, and do what you know is right. (And turn them loose to their own pursuits now and then! For the sanity of all!)
Do I sound preachy? Sorry if I do-- I'm wading through male adolescence x 3 right now, and waging my own campaign for balance and sanity.
WendyBee