Saturday, October 8, 2011

Mother Daughter Daytrip!

It's been a tradition for the last fifteen years for my mother, daughters and I to take a daytrip to a little town called Stockholm about 75 minutes south of us. Stockholm is quaint in every sense of the word. My husband doesn't do "quaint" but we girls love it.


This year we decided to bring Lacey with us. She loves going on car rides and was ecstatic to be included. That is, until we left her in the car while we explored a few shops.

This shop leaned the paintings they were selling against a railing outside the store. It was very eye-catching on a lovely fall day!

Who can resist a sweet owl sign, beckoning you to enter the store? Not us!

Leah, Mom and Emily. My three favorite women! They have each blessed my life immeasurably.

Next stop, the farmer that sells pumpkins and vegetables. We go there to stock up on more unusual varieties of ornamental pumpkins.

Here's Emily hoisting one of our silver white pumpkin selections. Keep up the weight lifting Emily, you're looking great!

I'm perusing the many pumpkins. I love the cinderella style pumpkins but they didn't have a lot of those this year. No matter, I'm happy with our selections.

What did Lacey do to deserve this evil treatment? Probably barked at the farmer's very large dog who outweighed her by 90 pounds!

Look at that sweet face! You can't stay mad at her for long. She's back where she belongs, being cuddled in Emily's arms.

My wonderful girls at the Bogus Creek Cafe, our favorite lunching spot in Stockholm. They have excellent salads, sandwiches and soups.

Mom and I. I'm so thankful that my mother is able to continue to take little trips like this with us. She's a huge blessing in my life and I thank God for her and the example she has provided me through the years.

Wandering through the town, we put Lacey in Leah's purse so she could join us without getting into mischief. I'm not sure how much she liked it but she sure commanded a lot of attention from passersby!

You might have guessed by the name, but Stockholm is a cute little scandinavian town and they like to celebrate their heritage. Here are some folk dancers entertaining us.

I joked with the girls that I might get a dress like the ladies' and get Mike a men's costume and learn how to folk dance like this. They just couldn't see it. If you knew Mike you'd be likely to agree with them. He's more of an outdoorsman and his idea of dressing up for a costume party is to put on a flannel shirt and cap that both say "Arctic Cat" and call himself a snowmobiler.


Even if my future as a folk dancer is doubtful, we had a wonderful day and I hope you enjoyed a little peek at a darling little town on the banks of the mighty Mississippi.


5 comments:

Libbie said...

I remember your trip last year & it is so fun to see you going again! I am glad you are still going! Looks like a fun trip! Girl time is just so refreshing... Lucky Lacey! Looks like she had the best time :) I love how much your family adores her! A loving bunch!

Leah Marie said...

I had such a fun day with you, Gram & Emily. And Lacey, of course. I’m glad we got to go again this year. :)
xo

Michelle said...

Looks like such a great girls day out. I also love the Cinderella pumpkins, but also those white ones you picked out.

xoxo said...

Sounds like so much fun.
Xoxo

Leslie said...

Looks like a wonderful day. Love the pumpkins, and Lacey barking at a dog 10 times her size (speaking as the owner of a little dog - they all have Napoleonic complexes!)