Sunday, October 23, 2011

Football Weekend!

We had a busy but fun few days around here and the theme of the weekend was football! We started on Saturday evening when my mom, son and I drove to Eau Claire for the high school first round playoff game in Wisconsin.


My nephew, Sam, plays for D.C. Everest in Wausau and we try to attend as many games as we can even though it's a three hour drive, one way. We got lucky with this game as it was only an hour and a half away.


Sam is a linebacker and a team captain. He's a senior this year so it's his final season of high school football. I can hardly believe that four years have gone by so fast. He's quite talented and one of only two players on his team to be voted All Conference by the all the coaches in his conference. He's #49 in the photo above, going out to meet the other captains for the coin toss.


My sister-in-law, Debbie, another football mom and my niece Stephanie were there to cheer Sam and the rest of the team on. Our signs and cheers must have worked, because...


If you look at the next photo and see the final score you'll see that the D.C. Everest Evergreens scored 49 points and their competitors could only put 35 points on the boards. Way to go, team! I will be out of town the next two weekends so the only way I'll be able to see them play again is if they make it to state. That would be great and that's what I'm hoping for!



The next game we attended this afternoon. Mike, the girls and I drove into Minneapolis to watch the Packers play the Vikings. We were given free tickets by our business's supplier. They always give us tickets to this game every year because they know we're Packer fans.



Well, maybe I should correct myself. MOST of us are Packer fans! Emily has to be different and for whatever reason, she has chosen to align herself with a losing team and roots for the Vikings. It doesn't make sense to me either...



Here we are, outside the dome, in the line for security. You've got to be patted down and have your bag searched to enter now. A sad commentary on our society, I suppose.



Yee Haw, the game is about to begin! Out come the flag carrying guys, the mascots and of course, the players.



This might be my favorite scene of the day. The players knelt down in the corner to pray. In the midst of the crowd, they honored God and I loved it.



I also loved when the National Guard carried the flags out onto the middle of the field for the national anthem. It was moving.



Let the game begin! Both sides were playing well and even though the Packers were favored, the Vikings started strong.



Leah looks lovely no matter where she is, a football game is no exception. :)



Here's Aaron Rogers shouting out orders and getting ready to move the ball down field.



Leah looking ferocious as she makes the G for Green Bay sign. Ooh yeah, that'll make the Viking fans cringe in fear. Ha!



This is what makes Vikings fans cringe in fear, the final score! Packers 33, Vikings 27. And so, after seven weeks of football, the Packers are the only undefeated team in the league.


4 comments:

Leah Marie said...

Yesterday was such a fun day. I had so much fun with you, yelling & hollering when things got intense!
Going to Red Lobster was fun too, (my first time!).
Great photos, I’ll have to steal a few ;)

xoxo

Michelle said...

Sounds like a great time for you ladies. We did the high school football thing too on Friday night, driving 1 1/2 hours one way for our son's game. Our team colors are also green and gold! Go Big Green!

Leslie said...

Just stopping by to thank you for leaving your comment on my recent post. And you're wrong, it WAS uplifting. You don't realize how much it helps to just have someone say, "Yes, I can relate. And I'm so sorry you're hurting."

(And I LOVED your son's joke, and the story behind it. Made me smile BIG :)

THANK YOU. May you have grace for the thorns God doesn't choose to remove. But I pray He removes them.

Libbie said...

We don't even cringe anymore....we just roll our eyeballs & sigh....don't even turn the game on this season...sad :) Looks like you had fun though!!!!!