Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Bye Bye Sugar...

Mike and I hiking in the Grand Canyon last month.


I haven't been blogging much lately... There's always something going on in the summer it seems. This week is fair week. The children have to get their projects ready to bring to the county fair on Thursday. That's right, it's the day after tomorrow!

I've been walking almost every morning this summer, on a 4.7 mile loop, usually with my sister. You'd think that alone would be enough to keep the extra pounds at bay, but alas, no such luck! I hopped on the scale last week and was dismayed to see that I'd gained more weight and was at the point where I had never weighed more than this except when I was pregnant!

I knew it was time to take action and so when I was in a bookstore and saw "The Bellyfat Cure" by Jorge Cruise I was intrigued. (FWIW, that's where my extra pounds seem to have deposited themselves.) I had a 20% off coupon and even though I need another diet book like I need a hole in the head, I bought it.

Some of what he says I can't agree with but the gist of his plan is this: Stop eating so much sugar and carbs. Limit yourself to 15 grams of sugar a day and 6 carb servings a day. Of course he has a bunch of success stories in his book to motivate his readers and I have to confess that I love success stories! Who doesn't want to read about someone else doing what they want to do?

So, I decided to start right away and here's the amazing part. It works! I don't have a lot of weight to lose, maybe 15-20 pounds and in less than one week I have lost 4.5 pounds and my waist has shrunk by 2". If it hadn't happened to me I wouldn't believe it myself. I'm still eating, just not quite as much and no added sugar. I'm not even eating that much fruit right now but I hope to add more of it in the near future. In the meantime it's vegetables, eggs, low fat meats and seafood with limited fruits and VERY limited breads and sweets.

I'll let you know how things progress as time goes on but I'll admit that I'm pretty excited. Summer is a great time to do something like this: I have more time to exercise and there are so many delicious vegetables and fruits to replace the junk I was eating.

Happy trails!


1 comment:

Leah Marie said...

good job mom! you've been doing a great job.:]
{leave a comment on my bloggy now. it needs it!}