Thursday, September 1, 2011

I Wish I Could Say "Happy Birthday, Sam!"


Leah, Samantha & Emily

This is a photo from Brenda (Mike's sister) & Tony's wedding in 1999. The girls were flower girls and Sam was Brenda's personal attendant.


The girls on Fathers Day.

You can see by the expressions on my girls' faces just how much they adored their cousin.


Today is my niece Samantha's birthday. She would have been 23. We lost her in a devastating car accident in July of 2004 and life hasn't been the same since.


Even though she's been gone for over seven years, we think about and speak of her quite frequently in our family. She was the best big cousin to all my children. She would faithfully take them under her wing and play with them at every family gathering. I'm sure at times it was boring and their incessant desire to be with her probably got old but she never complained. She was always loving and kind to them and they adored her! Actually, adored might be an understatement. Worshipped is more like it.


My oldest daughter just said to me the other day, "When I get married, after asking Leah (her sister) to be a bridesmaid, the next person I would have wanted would have been Sam."


We know our loss cannot compare to Mark and Teresa's, but we miss her and grieve all the same.


We love and miss you Sam, but we know we'll see you again someday.



4 comments:

Michelle said...

Wonderful words in this tribute.

Leslie said...

i'm so very sorry for your loss - your words here are a lovely tribute to a deeply beautiful and caring young woman. may your family's hope of seeing her again carry you through dark moments...

Leah Marie said...

We’ll always remember her, and it makes it easier knowing that we will see her again.
I love you!

Natasha in Oz said...

This is a beautiful tribute to a beautiful young lady. You are so lucky to have such special and happy memories.

Thinking of you all at this sad time....

Natasha.
xo