Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Happy Birthday To Me

Just a random photo of Leah and I in Florida this spring.


I'm 45 today.

I've gotten so many lovely birthday wishes on facebook. :) It seems that the era of electronic messages is upon us with a new but fun way to send greetings to friends many miles away. In this busy day and age how very nice to be remembered by so many thoughtful people!

I confess I am partial to traditional greetings and I did receive lovely cards from my husband and children and a few very thoughtful gifts as well. One dear friend stopped by with her beautiful floral arrangements that she is known for. One has Lilies of the Valley and white lilacs and pink bleeding hearts. All favorites of mine. Their perfume is wafting about and my nose is in heaven!

Ever since my cancer diagnosis I have counted my birthdays as bonuses. This is my tenth bonus birthday. Ten years of loving, laughing, living! I'm so grateful for each and every year that I will never be sad about growing older. Never! I vividly remember begging God for these years and I am grateful for each and every one. Lest you think my life is all goodness and sweetness, I can assure you, it is not. Even on the bad days I remind myself that God granted the desire of my heart and His gift of life comes with both good and bad days. It gives me a different perspective and I'm thankful for it.

You don't need to have a cancer diagnosis to embrace the gift of life. Make each day count, they're all "bonuses" if you really think about it!

8 comments:

Katherine S. Cole said...

Happy Birthday! Beautiful post. :)

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! DID YOU SEE MY MOM :)

Lindsay said...

Happy Birthday!!! :)

Stacey said...

Happy Birthday! Congratulations on your tenth bonus year. I love your perspective. It is a great reminder for all of us!

Auntie Cake said...

Happy Birthday and an important lesson to appreciate each and every second. Loved your last post too. That happened to me with a former neighbor of mine. Life just got in the way and I found out she passed away alone, in a nursing home. I so regret not finding time to stop by for another visit.

Hope you enjoyed your day! Looking on the bright side, this frigid weather we have been having has made my lilacs last a very long time! Gotta love that!
Kate

Shy Wolf said...

Happy Birthday to a fine woman and loving wife, gentle mother and growing girl. I wish you at least another forty.
Shy III

Abigail Kraft said...

Happy birthday! Trials have a way of making every day more special...and it definitely seems like you've achieved that! God is so amazing! It's so incredible to know that our "happily ever after" will never dissipate. :)

I'm just visiting for the first time. You have a lovely blog!
In His arms,
--Abigail @ Rear Window

Auntie Cake said...

Hello there!
There are still way too many wonderful things going in in spring to blog on a regular basis! I can see you have fallen to the same spring fever as I have. The computer can wait though, this beautiful weather won't last long around here so we had better soak up every minute of it!

Just stopping by to say hello. We took the Buick to the farm this weekend, it's near Baldwin, WI. I said a hello to you somewhere in the middle of nowhere!
Kate